If you have storm damage on your property, you may be looking to hire someone to clear away tree debris or to do repair work on your home or garage. You may have also been approached by companies and contractors, offering to do the work.
Before you hire anyone, take some simple steps to make sure your work is done right, and done safely. Hire only licensed contractors and tree companies.
The City of Minneapolis and State of Minnesota make it easy for you to find out if tree service companies and contractors are licensed.
Before hiring a tree service company
Tree service companies are required to be licensed, because unlicensed companies may not be insured for damage they might cause to your property, and their workers may not be properly trained to protect themselves and your property from damage. Here are some things residents should know when choosing a tree company:
• You can find out if a tree service contractor is licensed in Minneapolis on this website, or by calling 311.
• A licensed contractor must give you a written estimate for approval before any work being done.
• Licensed tree service contractors have marked vehicles and display a City of Minneapolis license decal.
• Licensed tree service contractors have insurance in the event of damage to your property, your neighbors’ property, or in case anyone is injured on the job site.
• To file a complaint, call 311.
Before hiring a building contractor
Anyone performing remodeling, repairs, roofing, and other similar work on residential dwellings must be licensed. Licensed construction professionals are insured and bonded and obtain building permits, which means the work will be inspected to ensure that it is done correctly. For a list of
state‐licensed building contractors, visit this Web site.
*This document was sent by the City of Minneapolis.